While sodium is a functional ingredient for taste, preservation and food safety, we established a goal to lower sodium levels by 15 percent in our products by 2020. We also aim for a single serving of our products to only have one-third of the recommended daily amount of sodium. Our Grocery Products division has established a target to reduce the sodium levels in all existing products to less than 1,000 milligrams per serving and to introduce all new products following this standard.
Click here to show related graph.
Three New Varieties of Hormel® Compleats®
Hormel Foods introduced three new varieties of Hormel® Compleats® – spaghetti with turkey meatballs, cheese and spinach ravioli and pasta primavera with chicken – all of which meet USDA guidelines for a “healthy lifestyle” and provide:
- Up to 22 grams of protein
- Fewer than 320 calories
- Fewer than 600 mg of sodium
- Fewer than 10 grams of fat
- Zero trans fat
- Vitamins A, C or iron
- Two-to-4 grams of fiber
We do not target children with advertisements. In 2010, we announced Hormel® Compleats® kids meals that are marketed toward parents as a convenient, nutritional meal for children between 3 and 8 years old. The product is an excellent source of protein and has no preservatives, artificial colors, trans fats or high fructose corn syrup.
We are members of the Association of National Advertisers, which works on behalf of marketers on policies, regulations and other issues affecting members. Advertising done by or on behalf of Hormel Foods complies with the advertising industry’s self-regulation system of codes. These guidelines complement government regulations and legislation and are self-imposed.
There are no incidents of noncompliance with regulations or voluntary codes concerning marketing communications to report for fiscal year 2010.
Use of Ingredients
The production of the different products in our portfolio requires using a variety of ingredients and additives.Ingredients
Advancement in technology continues to change many of our ingredients, which include the crop and vegetable items in many of our products.
We are sensitive to consumer preferences and regularly review research related to developments in plant genetics and continue to see significantly improved crop productivity and food quality. The adoption of biotechnology has benefited the consumer and food industry by helping to stabilize crop production, reduce grain costs and improve the nutritional content of foods while protecting our environment.
Genetically modified crops have undergone exhaustive testing and have been approved by the United States Department of Agriculture, Food and Drug Administration and Environmental Protection Agency. To this end, all ingredients used by Hormel Foods are Generally Recognized As Safe and comply with food safety and nutrition regulations. Visit the Food and Drug Administration website for more informationFunctional Ingredients
When considering the use of functional ingredients, a group of nutritionists at Hormel Foods first monitors peer-reviewed studies to study the ingredient under consideration. Then, we conduct our own research.
We have developed products at Hormel Health Labs that use functional ingredients to meet special dietary needs, such as those that help individuals with chronic liver disease and high-caloric product needs. For example, Hormel Health Labs offers Hepatic-Aid® II Instant Drink, a dietary supplement that contains essential and non-essential amino acids, carbohydrates and fats in a readily digestible form. It is specifically formulated to provide a palatable supplement to the diet of patients with chronic liver disease. Compared to a typical diet, Hepatic-Aid® II Instant Drink has an amino acid composition, which is high in branched-chain amino acids and low in aromatic amino acids and methionine.
Hormel Health Labs also offers a complete line-up of products to treat malnutrition, a large issue among the elderly, a growing population.
Considered a “one-stop shop” by food manufacturers and healthcare providers large and small, our Specialty Foods group is comprised of three business units:
- Diamond Crystal Brands offers expertise in custom healthcare products.
- Ingredients supplied by the Specialty Products division can be found in many of the leading brand name products. Within our Specialty Products division, we offer products that include the highest quality Omega-3 fish oils, stocks and broths, pasteurized processed cheeses and imitation blends, milk and whey proteins, dry milk powders, caseinates and isolates, meat ingredients, gelatin desserts, puddings, drinks, seasoning oils, sauces and specialty fats. These products bear the brand names America grew up with, such as Building Blocks® and Great Beginnings®.
- Century Foods International specializes in dairy and vegetable proteins and nutraceuticals – offering resources to help consumers with various health requirements.
Our flavor expertise includes all the major proteins: beef, chicken, pork, turkey and ham. Customers look to us to provide products other suppliers cannot, and to add quality, value and profitability to their businesses.
We know there are consumers who seek foods that are minimally processed with no preservatives. To that end, we pioneered a way to use High Pressure Processing (HPP) for protein products and developed our Hormel® Natural Choice® products. By using this technology, this product stays fresh without the need for preservatives, artificial ingredients, nitrates or nitrites. Because of this, consumers receive these benefits:
- Enhances Flavor: Food boasts its most natural flavors because no flavor-changing preservatives are added;
- Maintains Freshness: HPP protects against spoilage-causing bacteria, producing food that stays fresher longer; and
- Protects Naturally: Food is preserved using water pressure, not preservatives.